Call (713) 581-9001 for your free case evaluation!
Unpaid Overtime Lawyer for Oilfield Workers in Houston, Texas
While the oil and gas industry continues to open up job opportunities to millions of people, more and more workers are seeing their federal rights violated. Typically speaking, under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), workers in the oil and gas industry are owed overtime pay for working more than 40 hours in a week. Even so, many oilfield workers have 100+ hour workweeks and are not properly compensated.
According to ProPublica, the U.S. Department of Labor has found many instances where oilfield workers suffered from wage theft or were denied overtime they deserved. How are oilfield workers often denied wages? Misclassification of employees is one way. When workers are identified as independent contractors, they are not entitled to receive overtime pay. Employers may sometimes wrongfully classify workers as independent contractors in order to avoid having to pay certain taxes and to avoid giving these workers employee benefits. This can often save the oilfield company money, but at the expense of the worker. According to ProPublica, the Department of Labor has awarded $13 million in back wages due to over 9,100 workers in the oilfield industry. Could you be one of these workers? Did you work overtime in the oilfield, but weren’t paid overtime? Were you classified as an independent contractor and now wonder whether you should have been classified as an employee? Moore & Associated is an unpaid overtime lawyer for oilfield workers in Houston, Texas that may be able to help you if you believe you might be owed money for unpaid overtime or unpaid wages. You may be entitled to recover these lost wages, in addition damages and legal fees. Contact Moore & Associates, an oilfield unpaid overtime lawyer in Houston, Texas today.
How Oilfield Companies Deny Workers Their Wages in Houston, Texas
There are several ways that oilfield companies have found to avoid paying workers the wages they may deserve. What are some of the methods oilfield companies have employed? And what can you do if you believe you may be owed unpaid wages? Let’s take a closer look:
- Worker Misclassification. One of the common ways that oilfield companies failed to pay workers the wages they were entitled to receive was by misclassifying employees as independent contractors. If you were classified as an independent contractor, worked on an oilfield, and put in long shifts, where you commonly exceeded 40-hour workweeks, the oilfield unpaid overtime lawyers at Moore & Associates in Houston, Texas may be able to help you.
- Day Rates. Sometimes workers were paid a day rate and then asked to put in long shifts. If you were paid a day rate but were then asked to work longer than 40-hour workweeks, you may also be entitled to receive unpaid overtime. Moore & Associates, unpaid overtime lawyer for oilfield workers in Houston, Texas may be able to help you.
- Claiming Workers are Exempt from Overtime Pay. Sometimes oilfield companies denied workers their overtime by claiming that they were exempt from receiving overtime. Even if you were a salaried employee, you may be entitled to receive overtime pay if you were made to work overtime.
- Piece Rates. Sometimes workers were paid “piece rates” for completing given jobs. However, when these jobs took a long time, the workers may have put in long shifts to get them done, without receiving time and a half for this work. If you were paid piece rates but worked long hours in the oilfield, Moore & Associates is an oilfield unpaid overtime lawyer in Houston, Texas that may be able to help you.
If you are a current or former oilfield worker whose employer has illegally held back wages or overtime pay, you can find the Houston oilfield claims attorney you need at Moore & Associates. We are ready to help you file a lawsuit against your employer to ensure that you can collect the money you’re owed.
Why Choose Our Houston Employment Lawyers?
- Since 2001, we’ve defended workers’ rights throughout all of Texas
- We offer FREE in-person or over-the-phone case reviews
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers®
- In Houston’s Top 100 Lawyers in Labor & Employment Law by H Texas Magazine
When your livelihood and your legal rights are on the line, you need to act quickly to fight against unjust practices. Backed by well more than a decade of experience and proven results, we have the experience and tenacity to stand up for your rights. Discover what a dedicated, top-rated lawyer can achieve for you!
Questions? Read to file a claim? Click here to schedule your free case evaluation!
Ethical & Competent Defense of Your Rights
Unfortunately, there are many tactics that an employer can use to keep back wages or overtime pay. Sometimes, an oilfield worker will be mislabeled as a salaried employee or an independent contractor, making him or her ineligible for overtime pay. In some cases, daily rate employees are not paid a higher rate for overtime, or are simply paid a flat day rate.
Some oil and gas companies will simply refuse to pay employees for “off-the-clock” travel and jobs. There are even employers who will maliciously underreport a worker’s hours to avoid paying full wages and overtime pay. When you face underhanded tactics, you need an honest, powerhouse legal advocate in your corner.
Moore & Associates proudly represents oilfield workers throughout the Barnett Shale, Cotton Valley, Eagle Ford Shale, and Haynesville Shale, including and not limited to:
If you are losing income to any illegal employment practice, or if you have been laid off and are trying to collect the full wages you are owed, our experienced legal team can help you aggressively assert your rights. Don’t hesitate to learn what your options are! We can help you pursue justice.
Call (713) 581-9001 or fill out our online form. Work with an award-winning claims lawyer in Houston, Texas today!