If you believe you are owed unpaid wages, have suffered a violation of Texas’s minimum wage laws, or believe you are owed unpaid overtime, you might want to speak to a qualified employment lawyer in Houston, Texas like Moore & Associates. Our firm handles a range of cases, including unpaid oilfield overtime and tip pool violations. We also assist clients who believe they have suffered discrimination or sexual harassment on the job. Finally, if you believe you have been wrongfully terminated, our firm may be able to assist you.
If you are facing an employment law issue, the most important first step you can take is to contact the employment lawyer at Moore & Associates today. While the information you’ll need will depend on the kind of case you have, there are certain documents you can gather to better prepare you for your initial consultation. Of course, Moore & Associates are employment lawyers in Houston, Texas who can guide you every step of the way.
Checklist of What to Bring to Your First Meeting with Your Employment Lawyer
Your employment lawyer can guide you every step of the way if you’re facing a dispute about unpaid overtime, unpaid wages, discrimination, sexual harassment, or wrongful termination. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to have everything organized for your first meeting with your employment lawyer. Moore & Associates can help you gather the information you need for you case. However, if you have these documents, this is some information you may want to bring to your initial consultation with your employment lawyer:
- Timeline of Events. If you have records of what took place and when, such as days of the week you were typically asked to work overtime without getting paid, or days when you had to take paperwork home, bring notes or records. If you suffered sexual harassment or discrimination, bring a timeline of when these events took place, and any documents you may have about correspondence with human resources. If you have text messages, emails, or notes documenting offensive behavior, you may also want to bring this to your initial consultation.
- Copies of E-Mails and Official Correspondence. Any e-mails you exchanged with human resources, your boss, or other workers may also be useful and should be brought to your initial consultation if you have them. If you filed any official grievances or reports to human resources, if you have copies of this information, bring it to your initial consultation with Moore & Associates, employment lawyers in Houston, Texas.
- Employee Handbook. Your employee handbook will detail procedures and steps employees should take when an issue arises. Moore & Associates are employment lawyers in Houston, Texas who can review the handbook, assess whether you took all the steps you needed to take, and determine whether your employer’s human resources took the steps they needed to take based on the handbook.
- Employment Contract, Offer Letters, or Contractor Agreements. Moore & Associates are employment lawyers in Houston, Texas who will want to understand the relationship you had with your employer. In some cases, workers are labelled contractors, but they really are employees—and as employees, workers have additional rights. Bring the initial contracts you signed when you were first hired. Our firm can review them and help you understand your next steps.
- Severance Agreements. If you were terminated or fired, bring copies of severance agreements.
- Termination Letters. If you were fired, bring any written documentation human resources provided, or emails sent to you.
- Names and Contact Information of Witnesses. If you were sexually harassed or you feel that you were terminated in retaliation, if you can provide the names and contact information of individuals able to corroborate your story, this could be helpful.
- Pay Stubs and Proof of Payment and Records of Hours Worked. If you have any logs of your hours worked, pay stubs, proof of payment, or any other information, bring this to your initial meeting with your employment lawyer in Houston, Texas.
- Any Other Documents to Support Your Claim. If you have any other information that you think might be relevant, you might want to bring it to your initial meeting with the employment lawyers at Moore & Associates in Houston, Texas.
Pursuing your former or current employer for back pay, unpaid wages, and unpaid overtime can be overwhelming or stressful. If you were terminated or suffered losses due to discrimination or sexual harassment, you may wonder what your next steps should be. Moore & Associates are employment lawyers in Houston, Texas who may be able to assist you with your case. While it can be helpful to gather information about your case before your initial consultation, the most important step is seeking help. Moore & Associates can help you with the rest.